WV SUN is seeking a contract communications consultant to work part-time on a six-month advocacy campaign. The consultant will, under the guidance of WV SUN staff, implement a communications program to draw attention to the organization’s advocacy effort. The position reports to the campaign advisory board.
Qualified applicants will have at least four years work experience, an understanding of effective media relations, an ability manage multiple projects, and strong attention to detail. Existing relationships with West Virginia-based media is preferred.
Job Description and Duties
- Build and maintain campaign message discipline
- Develop and maintain campaign landing website
- The campaign website will serve as its information clearinghouse. It should be regularly updated with campaign-relevant news, fact sheets, etc. as well as serve as the hub for activists to refer to regarding actions they can take.
- Draft written content promoting the campaign
- This would include but isn’t limited to op-eds, letters to the editor, fact sheets, and press releases.
- Draft and send action alerts, petitions, and sign-on letters.
- Pitch reporters
- Earned media will play an important role in the campaign. The communications consultant should maintain a good working relationship with West Virginia-based media to keep them informed about campaign activities.
- Wrangle earned media opportunities
- The communications consultant will be responsible for arranging logistics of media opportunities such as press conferences. This would include finding a location, equipment, etc.
- Manage supporter email campaign
- The communications consultant will draft, schedule and send emails to campaign supporters based upon the campaign plan schedule developed by WV SUN.
- Manage campaign’s social media presence
- The communications consultant will develop the campaign’s social media program and use the social media tools the consultant believes will be most effective at reaching the campaign’s target audience.
Pay is commensurate with experience. Experienced consultants should send proposal to Karan Ireland at email@example.com.