We’ve started compiling some basic resources on solar technologies and incentives. Check out the list of pages and fact sheets below. And let us know if you have any additional information that would be good to add!
Steps to Going Solar
- Join the listserv. WV SUN has an active listserv of people who have gone solar. You can ask questions and get help by contacting the listserv. Join here.
- Learn about solar. Check out the resources listed above.
- Solicit three (3) bids from local installers. Check out a list of local installers and contact three to solicit bids. It’s important to get multiple bids so you can select the installer who will best meet your needs. Not sure how to review your bids? Send your questions to the listserv and someone can help you.
- Select an installer and have your system installed. Once you’ve selected a solar installer, contact them and let them know you’d like to move forward. They’ll have you sign a final contract and schedule an installation date. Your installer should handle all rebate applications, permits with the city, and contacting your utility to interconnect your system to the grid. Contact the listserv if you have questions or run into any problems during the installation process.
- Arrange to sell your system’s SRECs. SRECS are Solar Renewable Energy Credits that are produced by your solar system. You can either sell your system’s SRECs yourself or arrange for your installer to do so. Learn more about SRECs via our handy SREC info sheet.
- Have a party and invite others to celebrate! We want to hear about your new system! Share photos with the listserv and on the WV SUN Facebook page. And, invite your friends and neighbors to go solar! Also, make sure to let your Council member know how happy you are with your solar system.